PDF (Portable Document Format) is an open standard for document exchange. Created by Adobe Systems in 1993, this file is widely used for library’s databases, e-journals, dissertation or articles, reports, user guide etc. Each PDF file encapsulates a complete description of a fixed-layout flat document, including the graphics, hyperlinks, text, arc, line, ellipse, color, form, Bezier and other type elements. Because more and more people use PDF to publish, save and exchange information, it’s an essential to know more about some useful PDF tips and tricks.
Extract Images from PDF files:
In some cases, we need only the images from PDF files and use it in Web pages, PowerPoint presentations, or for editing in Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Paint Shop Pro, QuarkXPress or Adobe InDesign. Read on to get a best solution.
- Use Adobe Acrobat. If we have the full version of Adobe Acrobat, it’s the best way to extract individual images or all images from a PDF and export in various formats such as EPS, JPG, and TIFF etc.
- “Print Screen”. Just by hitting print screen and pasting the image into an editor or using a screen capture program. The drawback of this approach is that you’ll inevitably lose quality: the image pixels will typically not map to your screen’s pixels in a one to one fashion because of the decimation/resampling/scaling (or even rotation) when viewing the PDF document.
- Use a Third-Party PDF Extract Image Program. Several standalone third-party utilities are designed to make extracting images from PDFs easier, they performance well and always have much lower price than Adobe products. One of them is Enolsoft PDF Extract Image for Mac, which specifically designed for Mac OS users to extract images from PDF files without having to cut and paste and saves files in a wide range of formats, including JPG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, and PNG.
Convert to PDF Files on Mac:
Freepdfconvert.com is a free source for you to convert Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Images, Web Pages and other files to PDF file online. Also, Mac OS X’s built-in Quartz supports to creating PDF files. Steps are:
- Open the document in a Mac OS X application that can read its format, and from the File menu, select Print….
- In the print window, click PDF, and then save as PDF….
- Choose a destination, and save the document as a PDF file onto your hard drive.
Adobe Acrobat and PDFpen are powerful programs, and the files they outputs are generally of higher quality than those produced by the operating system’s built-in conversion utilities, but comparatively provides an expensive price.
Convert PDF File to Image on Mac:
The simplest way to save PDF as image files is open Preview and Save As image, but if we would like to convert a bunch of PDF files to image files, this could take a long time.
Zamzar.com is one of the most well known file conversion sites, the process is simplicity personified: Choose the file> select an output format >enter your email address to receive the converted file>hit convert.
Free services always have limitations, the file size that Zamzar supported is less than 100MB, and it only allows to convert less than 5 PDF files at a time with no encryption PDF file supported.
For those who want to batch convert multiple PDF files and who want to convert encrypted PDF files or worry about uploading sensitive files over the net, a third-party PDF tool is the best choice. PDF to Image for Mac is such a tool which offers full integrated functions, specifically designed for Mac users to batch convert PDF documents (including password protected PDF files). Also supports to adjust the output image quality and resolution to the best effect. And above all, provides a higher capability with lower cost.
Extract Text from PDF on Mac OS:
More than often, all we need from a PDF file is only plain text. Users are able browsing through a PDF with Mac’s built-in Preview or Safari, but what shall we do if we need to extract text from PDF for use in word processing documents or desktop publishing software?
As we mentioned before, Adobe Acrobat is a powerful tool for managing PDF files, but we always don’t like to pay for its high-end price. Copy text from one page at the time with Adobe Reader seems to be free, this might be a best solution with smaller projects, but with larger PDF files it will take forever.
A most suitable solution for those who want to deal with a mass of PDF files is to use a third-party program, which universally appreciated by users due to their rich features and favorable price. PDF to Text for Mac is one of the best Mac PDF tools, for detailed steps on how to use this tool, see How to convert PDF to text on Mac.
Play PDF Files on Flash Players:
Looking for a solution to embed PDF files in web pages for inline viewing or Searching for an app for converting PDF pages to SWF files on Mac for CAD architecture, business diagrams, GIS cartography maps, charts and graphs, scientific plots, Flash artwork etc. fields?
Codebox- PDF to Flash Page Flip, issuu and PdfMeNot are three best online PDF to SWF converting sites. The only disadvantage of Online Web based Conversion services is that an Internet Connection is a must have criteria for accessing them.
Unlike online sites, offline software is more stable and has more advanced features. Among the many PDF tools, Enolsoft PDF to SWF Converter for Mac is the best choices for those who prefer offline programs. You need only three easy steps to finish PDF to SWF conversion on Mac with this program.
- Download PDF to SWF for Mac.
- Load in PDF files.
- Hit “Convert” to start PDF to SWF conversion on Mac.
I’ve barely scratched the surface, but the list could go on and on. Please feel free to comment and share some of your favorite ways to manipulate PDFs in order to help more people better arranging their PDF documents.