Portable Document Format (PDF) is the de facto standard for the secure and reliable distribution and exchange of electronic documents and forms around the world. More and more individuals, businesses, and government agencies trust and rely on PDF files to communicate their ideas and vision. In this article, I’ll introduce you several featured PDF tools (includes PDF Reader, PDF Editor/Creator, PDF Converter) that standout among the many competitors.
1. Adobe Reader Freeware
Adobe Reader is the global standard for reliably viewing, printing, and commenting on PDF documents. It’s the only PDF file viewer that can open and interact with all types of PDF content, including forms and multimedia. Adobe Reader X is available for Windows, Mac OS, and Android. Support for Linux is not planned.
Top Features of Adobe Reader:
- Make notes and share your feedback with others by marking up PDF documents using the Sticky Notes and Highlighter tools
- Interact with rich PDF files, including PDF Portfolios, CAD files, and multimedia content.
- Use online services at Acrobat.com to create, share, and store all kinds of PDF files.
- Take advantage of the security of Protected Mode in Reader, which helps safeguard your computer software and data from malicious code.
2. Foxit Reader Freeware
Foxit Reader is a small, fast, and feature rich PDF viewer which allows you to open, view, and print any PDF file. Moreover, it is packed full of convenient and easy to use viewing, editing and printing features that make document collaboration simple. Foxit Reader’s secure platform insures worry free operation against malicious virus and provides a secure and reliable digital signature verification platform for exchanging electronics documents without putting the user at risk from falsified documents.
Top Features of Foxit Reader:
- Fast - so you’re not waiting forever to read files.
- Lightweight - so it’s easily deployable and doesn’t exhaust system resources.
- Secure - so you don’t get infected with viruses and can keep sensitive information safe.
- A Platform - so you can extend the Reader by creating your own value added capabilities for internal use or for resale.
PDF Creator/ Editor
1. Adobe Acrobat Professional $449
Adobe Acrobat X Pro software lets you deliver professional PDF communications. Create and edit PDF files with rich media included, share information more securely, and gather feedback more efficiently.
Top Features of Adobe Acrobat Professional:
- Convert or scan any type of content to PDF – paper documents, email, photos, spreadsheets, websites, Adobe Flash Player compatible video, and more
- Easily edit PDF files and quickly export PDFs to Word or Excel documents.
- Save PDF files as Word documents with improved preservation of formatting and layouts
- Create and deliver professional-looking PDF files that are simple to send, open, view, and navigate.
- Combine a wide range of file types into a polished, organized PDF Portfolio.
2. PDFpen (Mac) $59.95
Edit PDFs easily with PDFpen! Add text, images and signatures. Make corrections. Fill out PDF forms. Merge, delete and reorder pages.
Top Features of PDFpen:
- Perform optical character recognition on scanned PDFs
- Edit text in PDFs
- Use a library to store often-used text and graphics
- Insert images into PDFs
- Make placed images’ backgrounds transparent
Nitro PDF Professional is said to be the complete Adobe Acrobat alternative, which lets you create, convert, edit, review, sign and deliver industry-standard PDF files with tools that are easy to use, and easy on your budget.
Top Features of Nitro PDF Professional:
- Create PDF and PDF/A files from virtually any Windows application, with full control over PDF output options.
- Easily convert PDF to Word and PDF to RTF with industry-leading accuracy, enabling quick content reuse in Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, OpenOffice and more.
- Create PDF files you can search, edit, comment, and copy, from paper or image-based documents.
- Combine documents, spreadsheets, presentations and more into a single, polished PDF file.
- Control how people view and use your sensitive and confidential information through robust PDF encryption.
Enolsoft PDF Converter for Mac is an 8-in-1 PDF converting program to help OS X users to convert PDF to many other popular document formats like .docx, .pptx, .txt, .html, .rtfd, .epub, .jpg, .tiff and .png with original tables, text, fonts, images, graphics and hyperlinks retained.
Top Features of Enolsoft PDF Converter for Mac:
- Convert PDF to popular document formats like .docx, .pptx, .txt, .html, .rtfd, .epub, .jpg, .tiff and .png etc.
- Extract PDF images to popular image file formats like BMP, PNG, TIFF, JPG and GIF.
- Batch and Partial PDF Conversion supported.
- Convert PDF with good preservation.
2. Able2Extract PDF Converter (Win) $99.95
Get quick, accurate, transfer of native PDFs into formatted MS Excel spreadsheets and editable MS Word for editing, analysis and other reversioning. Conversion from PDF to PowerPoint (PPT), AutoCad (DWG), Publisher (PUB) and more is included.
Top Features of Able2Extract PDF Converter:
- Once converted into Word or PowerPoint, PDF text can be edited and repurposed as required
- Perform Data Analysis Within Excel
- Preserve Formatting and Layout
- Fill out PDF Forms in Word
- Extract vector images and text from CAD drawings in PDF
Anyway, there do have many other good PDF tools, if you have a favorite PDF tool, please leave a comment and tell us about it.