“I was wondering if the Amazon Kindle Fire is able to play AVI movies, I own several AVI movies and really would like to transfer those AVI movies. I want to get the Kindle Fire, but I don’t see the point in getting a tablet if I’m not able to play the movies I own. Any help?”
No, Amazon Kindle Fire won’t play AVI videos directly, but you can convert them into Amazon Kindle Fire supported MP4 format with a third-party program. By converting AVI to Kindle Fire supported MP4 formats, you can now play AVI videos on Kindle Fire with no need to buy them again.
So, what third-party program is optimized for converting AVI o MP4? In this article, I’ll introduce you two options of the best video converter software on the market. Read on to get the detailed info.
Option 1: Play AVI to Kindle Fire with Free Handbrake
HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder, available for Mac OS X, Linux and Windows. This program may be the best MP4 converter among the many free ones, but when compared with the professional ones, it may be unstable sometimes and always need a long time to finish the AVI to MP4 video conversion.
- Most common multimedia files that libavformat and libavcodec support.
- Any DVD or Bluray-like source which is NOT copy-protected. (removal of copy protection is not supported)
- File format: MP4 (M4V) and MKV
- Video: MPEG-4(ffmpeg), H.264(x264), or Theora(libtheora)
- Audio: AAC, CoreAudio AAC (OS X Only), MP3, or Vorbis. AC-3 pass-through, DTS pass-thorugh (MKV only)
Simple User Guide (Mac Version):
- Install and run Handbrake
- Click the “Source” button and then navigate to the file, folder or drive where your AVI source is located and press “Open”. After selecting your AVI source, HandBrake will scan it and setup the GUI for that source.
- There is a drop-down menu named “Title:”. You are given a list of Titles on the source. Select the one you wish to encode.
- Click the “Browse” button in the Destination box. Browse to where you wish to save the output video. Type in a file name. Click “Save”.
- Choose a preset from the Preset list. This will automatically setup all the required settings. All you need to do now is press the “Encode Video” button and wait for it to finish.
- If you have a source with multiple titles, you can queue these up using the “Add to Queue” button. Alternatively, you can simply press the “Start” button to begin encoding.
Option 2: Play AVI to Kindle Fire with Advanced Video Converter
Just as I previously mentioned, Handbrake in some cases can’t meet all of our demands for a smooth video conversion, and under this condition, we need a professional program to do this task, a recommended is Enolsoft Video Converter. Enolsoft Video Converter helps to convert between all popular video formats - including HD videos, as well as extract soundtracks from video files and then convert to any audio formats like MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, OGG, AIFF and M4A etc. By taking advantage of its optimized presets for portable devices, people are able to enjoy all of their favorite videos and music everywhere with Kindle Fire, iPad 2, iPad, iPhone 4S, iPod, Apple TV, Zune, PSP, Smart Phones, Xbox 360, HP TouchPad, Galaxy tab, Xoom and PlayBook etc.
- Standard Definition Videos: 3GP File(*.3gp,*.3g2), Advanced Systems File Format(*.asf), Audio Video Interlace File(*.avi), Digital Video(*.dv,*.dif), DVD Video File(*.vob), Flash Video Format(*.flv,*f4v), iTunes Video File(*.m4v), Matroska Video(*.mkv), Microsoft Digital Video Recording(*.dvr), MJPEG Video Format(*mjpg,*.mjpeg), MPG Video File(*.mpg,*.mpeg,*.m2v,*.mpa), MPEG-4 File(*.mp4), MPV Video(*.mpv), NUT Video(*.nut), Nullsoft Stream Video(*.nsv), Quick Time Video(*.mov,*.qt), Raw Video File(*.h261,*.h263,*.h264), Real Video(*.rm,*.rmvb), SUN AU Format(*.au), (S)VCD Video File(*.dat), Video Transport Stream File(*.ts,*.t2,*.m2t), Windows Media Video(*.wmv), YUV Video File(*.yuv), MOD Video File(*.mod), TOD Video File(*.tod), VRO Video File(*.vro), DIVX Video File(*.divx), DVD ISO File(*.iso)
- High Definition Videos: AVCHD Video (*.mts, *.m2ts), H.264/MPEG4 AVC Video(*.m2ts;*.mts), Quick Time HD Video (*.mov), WMV HD Video (*.xwmv), Audio-Video Interleaved HD Video (*.avi), MPEG2 HD Video (*.mpg; *.mpeg), MPEG4 HD Video(*.mp4), MPEG-2 TS HD Video (*.ts), HD FLV Video(*.flv)
- AVI, DivX(.avi), Xvid(.avi)
- MPG, WMV, MP4, H.264/MPEG-4, MOV, ASF, RM, 3GP, 3G2, FLV, VOB
- MKV, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (*.mp4), MPEG2 HD Video (*.mpg), Quick Time HD Video (*.mov), WMV HD Video (*.wmv), Audio-Video Interleaved HD Video (*.avi), ASF HD Video(*.avi)
- iTunes MP4, M4V, MP3, MOV, AIFF, M4A
- AAC, WAV, MP3, WMA, OGG, AIFF, M4A
Simple User Guide (Mac Version):
- Download and install Enolsoft Video Converter
- Run it and click “Add Files” to load in AVI files.
- Click “Output Format” column to select MP4 from “General Video” column as output format.
- Hit “Start” to start AVI to Kindle Fire MP4 video conversion.