About Matroska MKV
The Matroska Multimedia Container is an open standard project, which means for personal use it is absolutely free to use and that the technical specifications describing the bitstream are open to everybody, even to companies that would like to support it in their products. It is a file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks in one file. It is intended to serve as a universal format for storing common multimedia content, like movies or TV shows. Matroska is entirely open in specification, with implementations consisting mostly of open source software. Matroska file types are .MKV for video (with subtitles and audio), .MK3D for stereoscopic video, .MKA for audio-only files and .MKS for subtitles only.
The Matroska MKV has the following goals:
- Create and document a modern, flexible and cross-platform Audio/Video container format, in combination with an open codec API to form a free and open media framework
- Establish Matroska as the open source alternative to existing containers such as AVI, ASF, MOV, RM, MP4, MPG ES
- Develop a set of tools for the creation, editing and implementation of Matroska files
- Develop libraries and tools for software developers to be able to support Matroska in their applications
- Prepare hardware support of Matroska files in next generations standalone units, in close cooperation with device manufacturers
- Support adoption and implementation of Matroska’s in open architectures like FFmpeg, VLC or GStreamer (Multimedia Framework for Linux , equivalent to Microsoft (TM) DirectShow (R) for Windows (TM))
- Launch a set of DirectShow filters for playback and creation of Matroska files on Windows (TM) Operating Systems
MKV Media Players
A range of media players has native Matroska MKV support. Those includes: Zoom Player, MPlayer, VLC, KMPlayer, ALLPlayer, Elmedia Player, foobar2000 and PowerDVD etc.
MKV Video Conversion
Although there do have many media players supports MKV video format, but almost of the portable devices don’t support MKV video playback. MKV videos can be encoded with video converter software for further playback on portable devices like iPad, for edit in video editing programs or for upload to video sharing website like YouTube.
Encoded MKV videos with video converter software can be in a variety of ways:
- Convert MKV to MKV – Convert between MKV video formats to adjust the video/audio codec, resolution and Bitrate etc.
- Convert MKV to AVI, MP4, FLV, MOV, and VOB etc. – Convert MKV to other common video formats to make the most use of MKV videos. Also, video converter software enables 1080p HD quality outputs.
- Convert MKV to MP3, AAC, WMA, M4A and OGG etc. – Extract audio tracks from MKV videos and then converts to audio formats like MP3, WMA, WAV, M4A, AAC, OGG and AIFF etc.